Who knew I had so much self control? It has now been 9 days since I have eaten any sugar. I didn't know that I could do it!
To keep myself sane I have eaten lots of delicious fruit. I know, I know that technically fructose is a type of sugar, but I'm not trying to be perfect, just BETTER. Besides, there are lots of redeeming and healthy attributes to fruit which are not inherent in cookies and candy.
My kids think this challenge of mine is funny and they do their best to tempt me with deliciousness that they know I will have a hard time refusing. Joseph has begged me all week to make cookies, and I finally gave in last night. We made cookies that come together fast - no bake cookies. Still, it was utter torture for me. I tried to get other family members to make the cookies, but they all conveniently disappeared into outer recesses of the house. So, I soldiered on and smelled the cooking cocoa, butter and sugar mixture (heavenly), mixed in the peanut butter and oatmeal (mmmmmmm), and then spooned the cookies out onto aluminum foil to cool. And it was the first time in the history of me that I didn't sit down with a big spoon to lick the pan clean of the scrumptious cookie happiness. As soon as the cookies were scooped, I fled the room with a vanilla Greek yogurt. And this morning I had Joseph hide the bag of cookies somewhere in the pantry. Out of side, out of mind. At least it's worked so far!
Anecdotally, I would have to say that I have more energy than usual. I
am not going to try to always avoid sugar and I am planning a cheat
treat soon, but I'm going to try to cut back dramatically on refined
sugar.
I was going to take a picture of the cookies so I could demonstrate the extent of my ability to resist . . . but that would require me to find them and touch them and smell them. I'm just not that strong. So I found a picture on the web that looks just like our cookies.
Now, aren't you really impressed??
No comments:
Post a Comment