It doesn't bother me if my garden looks a little exuberantly messy. While I strive for some symmetry, I have nothing against experimenting with new plants or groupings. In fact, I love to throw things in the ground to see what they will become. Sometimes the plants and plantings are dismal failures. And sometimes I have to edit myself and prune things back. I'm sure I will never win any gardening awards, and what I find beautiful in my garden may not be noteworthy to others. But, my plants make me very happy! I feel like I learn a little more about gardening and what works just by trying something new every year.
There is something so gratifying and really actually spiritual about planting something from seed or small seedling and watching it grow into something beautiful. Sometimes I think it represents for me what I'm trying to do as a parent. The soil at our house is heavy clay, so I have to work in some good compost and peat moss before plants will flourish. Sometimes I have been lazy and just top dressed the planting with compost rather than digging down deep and mixing in the good stuff. The plants in this insufficiently prepared soil have languished. I bought an expensive clematis at a gardening show, didn't take the time to prepare the soil correctly, and now every day while I do dishes in the kitchen I look at out what happens when you don't give a plant what it needs - the clematis looks faded and stunted. I think that's a lesson for me as a parent. When we prepare a good foundation by making the best possible "growing" environment, our kids have a better chance of thriving.
It takes years to see (or hopefully see) the results of what I'm trying to do as a mom. But I can see results of my efforts as a gardener within months or a season. And that gives me hope and shows me that the little things, the preparation, the hard work . . . it all pays off with something beautiful.
1 comment:
I am so jealous that you have a color other than brown! I wish that it would cool down enough to grow something... anything.
Beautiful flowers.
Post a Comment