Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Thoughts on acclimation and a talent show


Aubrey and her friend performing in the school play.

Yesterday morning Joseph and I walked into Aubrey's school to see her perform in a talent show. Uncharacteristically, there were no clouds in the sky and the sun was bright. Joseph scrunched up his eyes and covered them with both hands, walking blindly all the way into the school. He is not a fan of bright sunlight in the morning, maybe because he is a true Washington boy.

A few years ago I wouldn't have believed this, but my definition of perfect weather has changed. We lived in Arizona for 8 years, and then in Utah, so we were accustomed to some serious summer heat. When we first moved to Washington in August three years ago, I was amazed how cool it was, in AUGUST, especially in the evening.

Recently the daytime high has been about 65 - 70 degrees, and it has been slightly overcast but not rainy. To me, that is my new perfect. Once the thermometer climbs into the 80s or above, we all swelter and complain mightily. When the sun shines brightly we are a little shocked and we scramble to find sunglasses we haven't used for months. So, I guess we have acclimated have become true Washingtonians.

Joseph and I have been spending hours outside every day, puttering around the garden, playing at the park, or walking/big wheel riding. Like Goldilocks, I have appreciated the "just right" weather - not too hot, not too cold! We are headed to the beach for the weekend, so we can only hope for more of the same.

Did you know that the children of Dan and Tiffany (who sing very quietly to spare the listeners) sing beautifully? Brandon was in the school musical this last year (Seussical), Bailey recently performed with a great school choir (singing and dancing . . .), Joseph sings superhero songs at the top of his lungs while in the grocery store or riding his Big Wheel, AND yesterday Aubrey and her best friend Emily sang "You've Got a Friend in Me" in the school talent show. They bought matching outfits, and looked cute and sounded great. We're thinking that our kids definitely inherited their singing ability from their grandparents . . .






1 comment:

Shellee said...

I never thought Dan had a bad voice and didn't you sing with us for something? See? You can sing, I think your kids are just very outgoing with that specific talent!