Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Today's Porter News

Bailey bounced into my room last night at 11:30 p.m.and shared her super exciting news: she passed her AP World History test!

Woohoo!!

The AP World History class was really difficult, which makes sense when you realize that it covered history from the beginning of time to now . . . throughout the entire world. I love history and I thought I had a reasonable good understanding of it, but I knew very little about the things she was studying.

The day of the test she was positive that she couldn't have passed the test, primarily because she wasn't sure  how to answer two of the three essay questions.

I found the questions online:

Analyze similarities and differences between the role of the state in Japan’s economic
development and the role of the state in the economic development of ONE of the
following during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries: China, Ottoman Empire, Russia.
and

Analyze how political transformations contributed to continuities and changes in the
cultures of the Mediterranean region during the period circa 200 CE to 1000 CE.


I'm guessing that the essay questions were challenging for many students. Congratulations Bailey!  You can do hard things! 

In other news, I am on day 3 of eating no refined sugar. Does that not sound impressive to you? This might be the first time in my entire life I have gone 3 days without eating sugar. 

Why am I torturing myself like this, since most of the good foods in this world are made with sugar?  It's a combination of two factors:  a conversation I had with my sister Kara and penance for the indulgent way I overate delicious food during our Utah vacation. Including the pound and a half of BYU fudge I consumed.  Oh, and the week before we left to Utah I was at the beach where they had a really delicious fudge shop, and I may have eaten a pound of fudge then, too. Then there was the camping trip we went on immediately after the Utah trip, during which we ate a steady diet of Mint Oreos, Oatmeal Fudge Bars (Aubrey's specialty), and s'mores. 

Last night for family night Joseph wanted me to make cookies. I told him NOOOOOO - I could not make cookies because I'm trying to avoid sugar for awhile.  He said, "Well, just don't eat the cookies, Mom." We all know that it is impossible to make cookies without liberally sampling the cookie dough. And I definitely do not have that kind of self control.  So, instead we piled in the car to get the kids an ice cream from McDonalds. 

So, I'm trying something new. I'll see how long I can hold out. I can do hard things too!

1 comment:

Jenny Knudsen said...

Good for you! I stopped drinking soda 6 weeks ago and only sometimes miss it. I will have to try sugar next.... maybe :)