Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Camping with the Girls

If you know much about me, you know that I am not a camper. I really love the outdoors, and I love to hike and be in nature. But I like sleeping on a real bed. And having a decent bathroom to use. And I think that cooking in the great outdoors (and cleaning up after) is a lot of work and a pain in the neck. And I don't like freezing at night.

I think as penance for not liking Girl's Camp as a young woman I will forever and ever be in callings where I am involved in Girl's Camp.  I've gone to camp as a ward leader now at least 10 years. I guess I am supposed to go to camp until I LIKE it.

And I have to admit that I do like it now. I never thought I would say that. Some of the things that were hard for me as a youth (some of the social issues) are a moot point now that I am a leader, and I really enjoy finding and trying to help girls who are feeling left out at camp. I was never a fan of the silly Girl's Camp songs (with lots of silly actions) - I just wasn't a "silly song" sort of girl! I still don't sing along with gusto, but I enjoy watching the girls have fun and I can see that the silliness plays a role in bonding.  I have a lot more perspective on the value of being uncomfortable - cold, dirty, surrounded by bugs. I can see that allowing ourselves to be pushed out of our comfort zones and do hard things is helpful. By a few days into camp each year I can see the difference as most of the girls (and leaders) stop caring altogether about how we look. And all the distractions that usually consume us are gone. The superficial largely falls away, and in the absence of such concerns there is space and time for us to feel deeper things. And there is so much to feel out in nature. There are so many times that the Spirit can speak to us. I also like the way that camp can be a great "leveler," breaking down some of the cliquishness between the girls.

I think it has been helpful for me as leader that I didn't always like Girl's Camp in the past. Because I understand that not every aspect of camp traditions are going to work for every girl. There is nothing that says that certification in all years of camp is a requirement for exaltation. I think that camp, like all church programs, it is a tool which can be very helpful in the overall goal of bringing people to Christ. Sometimes modifications to the programs have to be made to meet the needs of individuals, but that is exactly the way that Christ ministers to us. One of my favorite things about camp is the the chance to get to know individual girls on a level that is more difficult to manage at home. There are lots of opportunities to serve and to love.

Here are a few images from our camp this year. The overall stake camp theme was about recognizing and acting on the whisperings of the Spirit. Each ward chose a fun ward theme that correlated. We were "Seekers of Truth" - and we were all about Harry Potter.   It was so much fun! Our camp was Griffindor Tower and there were signs posted all around camp with words of wisdom from Dumbledore.
Each of the tents had a name. For instance, the first year campers were the "Dobbies."  Our leader tent was the "Ministry of Magic."
We gave all the girls Harry Potter scarves, which came in handy on the really cold nights and evenings. Camping in June in the Northwest can be a chilly and wet experience.  We were lucky, though . . . no severe weather events (like last year), and only a little bit of rain. I think some of the girls were disappointed because last year was so EXCITING (fire, lightning strikes, flash floods, etc.). We leaders appreciated the calm and mostly drama-free week.

Bailey rode the bus to camp (a 4 hour bus ride) rather than riding in my car. She wanted to be with her friends! I am so happy that Bailey enjoys camp so much. She won the "Happy Camper" award on the last day of camp because she loves everything about camp and is always happy to be involved and participating.
One of the first nights the girls all participated in "color war." Bailey (far right) is a 3rd year, and their color is red. The levels also write and perform a new cheer or song every day. The girls camp with their wards but spend much of the day in certification and levels activities with girls their age from the entire stake.
There is a really cold but beautiful glacier lake next to the camp. We canoed several times, once with the entire ward. Notice that we are all wearing jackets to get into the boats. We were highly motivated to not fall into the cold water!
 
 Both Bailey and I ended up with soggy rears after canoeing across the lake to a small island.
On the last day we were huddled by the fire because it was pretty chilly. One of the young women ran up to me and begged me (using her very best puppy dog eyes) to be her partner for a canoe race. Well, that was the last thing I wanted to do. It was cold and windy and I was tired and . .  . I agreed to go. And I was glad I did. It was really hard, especially when the wind pushed us the wrong way, but it felt good to overcome, and it was a great opportunity to talk to the young woman. And we didn't even come in last in the race. We were third to last. So, thanks for pushing me out of my comfort zone!  Below, starting the race and struggling to turn the boat to face the right direction.
A favorite camp tradition - braiding hair. I love to braid the girl's hair at camp. It means they are a captive audience for a few minutes and we get to talk while I braid.
Another fun tradition - setting hair in rag curls. Once the rags were removed, everyone's hair looked as curly as my hair is naturally!
And here is proof - I did not care about makeup or hair or anything for a week. It was great. I was in my tent, the Ministry of Magic. The same tent where spiders came down from the ceiling onto my head twice in a week. Yeah. And I survived.
It was a great week. Our YW Presidency just changed, but I get to stay in as Mia Maid counselor, so I'll be there again next year!

No comments: