So, we survived Girls Camp. It was actually a lot of fun! Even though we were frequently cold and wet, sleep-deprived, and dirty . . . I really enjoyed it and Bailey loved it (like always). I can see that there is a lot of value in the way that camp pushes us way out of our comfort zones and eliminates worldly distractions. The whole camp experience seems to strip away the pretenses and help us to feel the Spirit. And I really love spending time with the girls. I especially like sitting around the campfire and roasting marshmallows (and Starbursts - a Felida Ward tradition), french braiding hair (the girls sit and talk to me while I braid, so I take my time and enjoy the interaction), and talking to the girls when they are upset about something. I never have been and probably never will be really good at leading the girls in singing silly camp songs. I wasn't a silly camp song sort of girl and I'm still not a big fan, but I like that the girls have fun singing and dancing. I loved being at camp with Bailey (even though I'm pretty sure that I annoyed her several times each day!) I took some pictures of camp, but I believe that the camera with the pictures is now in Utah with Bailey, so I will have to wait to post them.
Speaking of which, we have a very quiet home this week. Bailey left yesterday to Utah for two weeks - she will spend one week at EFY with Ashlyn and one week with her cousin Mianna. Aubrey left yesterday to a beach house on the coast with her good friend Breanne and family. So, Joseph is an only child for awhile. So far he thinks it is boring. I agree - I like the noise and chaos that go along with a house full of kids. We will have to borrow a friend or two every day to play with Joseph. I would have to say that it was much easier to get everyone ready for church this morning, since "everyone" was myself and Joseph!
Summer has finally come to Vancouver. The old-timers always say that we can't count on summer weather until the 4th of July, and that usually holds true. We will really enjoy the 80 degree temperatures tomorrow for our 4th festivities.
We are really loving Brandon's missionary letters. Wednesday (his preparation day, when he has time to write us) is our favorite day of the week! He is halfway through his MTC experience and is doing great. His sense of humor comes through in his letters, and we can also see that he is really working hard. We are sending out a copy of his emails to friends and family. If I haven't already included you on the "mailing list" and you would like to receive the letters via email, let me know. He just met his new mission president (who is at the MTC for training). President Campero is from Bolivia, and Brandon said that President and Sister Campero are AWESOME (his words) and grandparent-like. It definitely makes me feel better as a mother to know that someone will be watching over and nurturing my boy. Brandon is especially enjoying learning Russian and comparing it to other languages he knows (he accurately describes himself as a language nerd). It will be fun for him to try to use his Spanish to communicate to his mission president and wife, who speak Spanish and will be learning English and Russian.
The end of school was such a whirlwind, and then we left a few days later to Girls Camp, so it doesn't feel like summer has really started yet. We are not sure where June went. Somehow it is already July! This week we plan to relax and enjoy everything that is summer . . . slip 'n sliding, swimming, sun on the face, riding bikes, buying ice cream from the ice cream truck, lazy mornings, lots of homemade smoothies, structure-free days. Bring on summer - we have earned it!
No comments:
Post a Comment