I didn't get to go on our stake's Pioneer Trek this time (Dan and I hope to go next time - in four years - when we will have two kids "trekking"). But, I have some thoughts about it as an observer of my kids who have endured the rigorous four day re-creation of the pioneer journey across the country to Utah.
Two days ago Bailey returned from Trek. She was, um . . . . . very tired, very dirty, and very, very, bug bitten. Poor thing - the mosquitoes enjoyed a feast on her face and back. I'm sure there were over a hundred bites. It took her awhile to be able to talk about the good things that happened because was so bothered about the way the bites had affected her face. (I really think that in a few years she'll wish she had let me take a picture of her "after trek" look. It will be funny to her then, but it's not funny now, so no pictures).
Little by little we have heard many of her stories. She sums it up by saying, "it was really hard, but good." And last night Dan, Bailey, and I attended a Trek fireside. The kids wore their (washed) pioneer clothes, laughed along with the speakers about lots of inside jokes from the adventures, and watched a DVD which compiled footage and pictures from the Trek.
We saw movie clips and pictures of the youth from our Stake pulling and pushing handcarts with all their might through the weedy, desolate ground in Southeastern Washington. The cameras captured many smiles, determination despite exhaustion, and much evidence of youth working together, supporting each other, and not complaining. I couldn't help it - tears ran down my face. It was so inspiring to see the youth being examples of perseverance and cooperation.
I am really impressed by the whole concept of Trek, which didn't exist when I was growing up. Our stake is one of many that holds a pioneer trek experience for the youth. First of all, I'm impressed that these LDS youth agree to go on something which will be so obviously challenging, dirty, and uncomfortable. They didn't have to attend, but they did. And they wore bulky, old-fashioned clothing, left all the conveniences of home behind, slept on the ground with no tent, and carried all their belongings in a single bucket. That is just impressive, really. In this selfish world they chose to be unselfish and do something really hard. They willingly participated in and learned from a re-enactment of the struggles of pioneer ancestors. They bonded, they cried, they struggled, and a lot of them say they even had some fun.
The organizers of our Trek worked hard to incorporate some fun, "light" moments and activities, and I'm sure that made the experience even more enjoyable. But, I think that Trek is valuable even if it doesn't qualify as an overall fun activity. There's a lot of good in recognizing the incredible sacrifices made by the pioneers. On another level, I think that by struggling and being uncomfortable we learn more about ourselves and our ability to do hard things. These are the lessons that create our character.
When we were helping Bailey prepare for Trek we researched our own pioneer ancestors to find Bailey a story that would be meaningful for her. She chose to "walk" for Amy Sumner Porter, who endured much in the trek from Nauvoo before dying, along with her newborn twins, in Winter Quarters, Nebraska. Her grave is the only one marked today in the Winter Quarters cemetery.
Amy's story is an incredible example of sacrifice, but our research turned up one story after another of relatives who gave up everything, often leaving their homelands and families in Europe forever, to come to America to worship their religion with fellow Saints. I felt real stirrings in my soul as I thought about my ancestors who gave up so much so that they and their children and their children's children could live the gospel fully and be near a temple. I felt really impressed that I want to cherish the gospel the same way and pass on the same desire to my children. In the testimony meeting yesterday one of the youth referenced a quote from one of the pioneers who said: "everything we have sacrificed will be worth it if our descendants continue on in the faith."
So, on this Pioneer Day I am glad that Bailey is back home safe and sound, happy that she was able to experience some truly life-altering things, and grateful for the example of my pioneer ancestors. I'll do my best to honor them.
No comments:
Post a Comment