Before bed last night Joseph sang a rousing rendition of "Happy Birthday America." It was a great way to end a fantastic 4th of July.
As our daughters are off having fun elsewhere (Aubrey is in Yachats, OR and Bailey is in Utah for EFY), this 4th of July was all about Joseph.
We started the day at the Ridgefield Parade, followed by many hours spent at the Ridgefield Kids Carnival. Finally, we spent the evening at the home of some good friends. Every year they invite everyone over for a potluck and fireworks viewing. It was an awesome day.
This is what Joseph dictated in a letter to Brandon today:
"On 4th of July I met a new friend named Reed and we saw fireworks and I had a popsicle and licorice and I had an otter pop. And on the parade we saw Star Wars people, people dressed in Star Wars costumes and we saw old cars and lots of cool things. And then we found this carnival and I got my face painted like Spiderman with a spider on the side of it. And then I got pizza, popcorn, a snow cone, and candy. And I went on this giant slide and on a bouncy house. And then we saw this Creature Feature show where this guy shows snakes. It was cool and a little freaky too."
Below, I have always wanted to get a picture of this . . . in every parade we have attended here in Vancouver one of the parade vehicles is an old firetruck which says it is from Moses Lake (the small town where I grew up). How fun is that?
My boys watching the parade. It was such a nice sunny day - about 79 degrees. We got a bit burned by evening.
Entranced by the parade, especially the awesome Star Wars themed float.
And the reptile and snake show - Dan succumbed to his fear of snakes and moved far, far away from this guy demonstrating all his poisonous creatures. Joseph sat by me for a long time. I was transfixed by the snakes and all the info I learned about them. For instance, did you know that if you pick up a dead rattlesnake the muscle memory in the snake will cause it to bite you and deliver a potentially fatal dose of venom? And after you receive anti-venom once in you life you are allergic and will never be able to receive it again? I sat on the front row, about two feet from the slithering King cobra, rattlesnake, python, and some other snake whose name I have forgotten. It felt kind of dangerous to be so close to the snakes, but thrilling at the same time!
After spending a few hours playing in the carnival Joseph looked at me and said, "This is like Disneyland . . . only more fun!" Who knew. And it was so much cheaper than visiting Mickeyland.
On to the potluck, where Joseph had way too much fun being menacing with his water gun. He also made a new friend.
On Sunday in church we stood and sang "The Star Spangled Banner." I felt quite emotional when we sang these lines:
Oh, thus be it ever,
when free men shall stand
Between their loved homes and the war's desolation!
Blest with victory and peace,
May the heav'n rescued land
Praise the power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must,
when our cause it is just
And this be our motto:
"In God is our trust!"
I am so grateful to live in a nation which has been shaped by the hand of God. I recognize His hand in the events which created our nation and I will always praise His power. God bless the U.S.A.!
No comments:
Post a Comment